Sunday, June 21, 2009

Every Day Is Father's Day

If Blanden could read the words on the card he gave to Ed this morning, he would say, "Daddy, you mean the world to me." But since Blanden is too young to share verbally or in writing how he feels, I'd like to share just a few of many standout moments over the past year...

When Blanden was just a few hours old and still in the hospital, he sneezed for the first time. We both looked at each other and laughed, and we knew that we both thought it was the cutest, most adorable sound we had ever heard in our lives. It was the first of many, many times as parents when we have known, without saying a word, that we share an extraordinary, inexplicable bond and are on the exact same page.

But once, when Blanden was just a few weeks old, during one of our many middle-of-the-night wakings, Blanden was inconsolable. I kept saying, "It's okay. Everything is okay. You don't need to cry." But when you held him, you said, "It's okay, son. I know you're frustrated. You can be frustrated. You're allowed to feel however you need to feel." I was so relieved because I knew that although Blanden was going to continue to cry for a while, you had gotten it exactly right: You knew exactly what he wanted, which was simply to be heard. So many times, in these subtle and important ways, you have reminded me of the different perspectives you bring to parenting.
But I also love how you can bring Blanden out of a full-blown meltown by being silly and smiley -- and sure enough, soon he is being silly and smiley too. I love how the two of you share the same sense of humor.

At Christmas, I love you how you took the time to purchase and set up the wooden train around the tree. Although he was too young to play with it or remember it this year, he will grow up reaching as far back into his memory as he possibly can until the images are fuzzy in his mind, but he'll know that he always had a Christmas tree train, and the memories will always bring a smile to his face and a warm feeling to his heart.

I love how once this winter, when I was out and you and Blanden were on your own, you needed to fix the computer. You took it apart and rebuilt it, all while holding Blanden in your arms. He helped you every step of the way, holding onto the screwdriver right along with you and intently watching your every move.
  • I love how you see something fun and silly and cool where I see something ordinary. I saw blue, boy PJs; you see Spaceman PJs. I saw underwater sea creature PJs; you see Shark Attack! PJs. (Of course, sometimes I see "adorable" and you see "little old man who just got off the golf course" -- ie., my favorite, the madras pants. :) )

  • I love how his face -- and yours -- lights up when you come home from work at night.

  • I love how you've been reading the same two bedtime stories (Goodnight Moon and Guess How Much I Love You) to Blanden for a year.

  • I love how the two of you shared secrets in Boys Club long before Blanden could speak. And when he did begin to babble, I love how he could carry on the longest conversations with you. To this day, they are still longer than with anyone else.

  • Sometimes when it's my turn to sleep in in the mornings (more often than it is yours, as you so graciously give me your days), I lie in bed listening to the two of you playing downstairs: tickling, wrestling, building forts.

  • I know you think he looks like me, but when I look at him, I see you.
I love how when Blanden was ready to go to bed tonight, I said to him to say to you, "Happy Father's Day, Daddy." You smiled and said, "Every day is father's day." And so, if Blanden could read the words above, he would say, "You mean the world to me, Daddy," and he would add, "And you mean the world to Mommy, too."

Happy Father's Day, Ed!

1 comment:

marilyn said...

Good to Go!

Good Morning Blanden,

I see you now have not only your new, extra special wagon, but it is all decked out, canopy, and nice cushion for you to sit on! Have you taken a ride outside of the back yard yet? Or are mom and dad waiting to make certain that you remember to sit down, instead of practicing that great new skill of standing up?

PaPa and I are "camping" in Traverse City, and are picturing your mom and Uncle A at every turn in the road, or activity, and to think next month, Mom is going to share some of her memories with you. Perhaps when you are much older, your folks will let you spend some Michigan vacation time here with us, while they catch up on work and perhaps some R & R at home. Speaking of that, are you still doing such a good job of learning to enjoy that wonderful crib and room all by yourself at night time?

Your mom should/could look into writing for Hallmark cards, the posting she wrote about your dad for Father's Day, was well, just something very, extra special.

I didn't get to read it until this morning, "silly grammy", again, just when I think I have some computer skills, I take a step back wards again. Yesterday, I tried for about 30 minutes, that is about half the time it takes you and I to walk about Wash Park, to get on the wireless net, here at Holiday Park Campground. No luck, and I was bound and determined not to call "wolf" and ask Uncle A for help again....

So, here I am, back at the camp club house, did exactly the same steps as last night (well, at least I think I did anyway), and here I am back on line, and best of all catching up with your blog.

Phoenix and I have been "up the hill" to play ball, keep practicing throwing Belle's ball for her, then you can play with Phoenix too, anyway, it is going to be hot, so after I get back to the trailer, I think PaPa is going to go the beach.

Tell, Mom, thanks for thinking about me when you guys just had breakfast, but I purchased some of that good Denver jam during one of our trips to Albertsons.

Time to get going,
Love,
Grammy