Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Evening Ritual

Sorry, no photos attached to this post.

It is early in the morning and I'm about to retire. I spent half of the night on mindless distractions and the other half on budget worksheets. For future reference, it is best to attend to work before play. The delay was not as much attributed to procrasination, as it was not wanting to associate dollars to real people losing their job. People in the office often comment that I'm lucky because my position is safe for I'm one of the few people "who understand the numbers." Not sure that knowledge is always that empowering. At least, I'm not necessarily feeling all that lucky nowadays.

Before I got too down on the world around, I thought of bath time with Blanden. The best part of my day is our night-time ritual. I just pulled him out of the tub, soaking wet and dripping with water. I reached for the towel and started chasing him throughout the second story of our home. When I was chasing him, Blanden was joyfully screaming, "Bob....Bob...Bob...Bob". For those unfamilar with this term, Bob equals Mom. Blanden attached to this pronounciation early in his formative stages and I have reinforced his use of the term Bob for Mom (at least I thought it was funny).

Tonight was especially special because I witnessed Blanden's developmental milestone of verbally associating Bob (or Mom) with the concept of safety and comfort. There is something undescribable about the feeling knowing that my son seeks security and safety from his mother. Because of my estranged relationship with my mother, the force of that emotion was amplified intensely.

Blanden had fell asleep almost immediately this evening. I couldn't stop myself from not wanting it to end. I held on to Blanden nearly 10 minutes after he slumbered gracefully in my arms. After I placed him gently in his porta-crib, I quietly whispered, "Bob, will be here first thing in the morning."

Thanks Bob!

2 comments:

marilyn said...

Good Morning Blanden,

Did you have a good sleep last night? Sounds like you and dad had some fun at bedtime last night, becareful of those stairs as you lead the folks on your merry chase! (Note to your mom and dad, remind them to let me know when you've learned to go safely down the stairs...grammies do tend to worry.)

Dad should have given me a call late last night, I was up too, we could have shared Blanden memories together.

So, why do you call mom, Bob? And I bet you anything Dad was right, when you woke up this morning, Bob was there to help you start your day off.

Papa and I have been out walking our dog already, and in a little while I am joining Aunt Jill for lunch, then I need to go shopping with Papa, he needs new jeans. Sometime you'll really understand what he means to shop with either him or your mom for jeans, perhaps she has gotten faster, but he definately has not!

Love,
grammy

Kate said...

My dear husband,

Thank you for sharing such a special story with me. That means a lot to me.

I know the nighttime ritual is a treasured time of the day for you and for Blanden. When you are at work, countless times during the day -- when he wakes up from his nap, when we walk down the stairs and he peeks around the corner, when we pull into the garage after running errands -- Blanden asks, "Dad?", wondering if you'll be there to chase him or be silly together or make him laugh. He looks forward to your nighttime ritual as much as you do. Thank you for allowing me a little peek at your special time together.

I love you...maybe more than you know, most certainly more than I show.